FrankenWM is a small, dynamic tiling window manager for Xorg. It is written purely in C and configured using a header at compile-time. It has been forked from monsterwm ages ago, and while the configuration and usage still feels a lot like monsterwm, the underlying code is almost a complete rewrite. It is also used on the asynchronous XCB library as opposed to the synchronous Xlib, which monsterwm is based on, which makes it even faster.
Here is a quick overview of the features it brings:
- Tons of layouts, currently 13
- Gaps and borders that are configurable at runtime and optionally per desktop
- Proper minimizing using a desktop-specific client-stacks
- Real support for floating windows, for mouse-less desktops
- An optional scratchpad window that can be shown and hidden quickly from anywhere
- Configurable like almost nothing else, even with regexes to control window spawning
- Prepared for a panel of your choice by leaving configurable free space on the screen and outputting information to display on it
- And probably more which I forgot
Even other people like it (actual quotes):
sulami dude you made frankenwm holy cow i love your work – dsplayer14
i could never really get into tiling window managers im sure they make people efficient as fuck, but i like my dynamic wm i spent way too much time configuring them, anyways. the only one i enjoy using is frankenwm – adam
great documentation, a fully commented config file + great man page got me up and running in a matter of minutes. – t1ngol
Oh dear lord, I love the guy who developed this WM. Such lovely documentation. – pateoigras
Get the source here. Pull / feature requests welcome, bug reports as well.